Resource Search Resource Search

Steam Hose Failure Burns Worker

A steam hose was placed inside a wellhead shack to heat and thaw equipment. The worker wanted to check the pressure gauge on a piece of equipment in the shack, and was unable to clearly see the gauge because of the accumulation of steam. The worker tugged on the hose to remove it from the shack, unaware that the hose had ruptured at a crimped fitting. As he tugged the hose, it bounced toward the worker, sending steam up the worker’s jacket sleeve and scalding the skin.