Working On and Around Oil Sands Tailings Ponds | A Program Development Guideline
This document provides guidance for managing risks associated with working on and around bodies of process affected water ponds such as tailings ponds.
The intended audience includes oil sands companies and employers that work in tailings operations but is not limited to health and safety, risk management, maintenance, engineering, and contractor personnel.
This guide provides general guidance and should not be viewed as a complete repository of information.
This guide will address:
- Hazardous ground conditions;
- Tailings storage facilities;
- Determining ground characteristics;
- Working on bodies ofwateror fluid;
- Working on frozen surfaces;
- Working in proximity of water or fluid;
- Personal protective equipment;
- Marine specific training; and
- Emergency response preparedness.
To provide feedback email Safety@EnergySafetyCanada.com
When providing feedback please include the page and section, issue or concern identified, and a suggested change or enhancement.