In This Section
Energy Safety Canada offers two certification tracks for safety auditors. The first track is for Internal Auditors who are intending to perform Internal (maintenance) audits for the company with whom they are full-time employees. An Internal (Maintenance) Auditor cannot conduct an audit on behalf of any other company.
The second track is for External Auditors who may be hired by companies to conduct External (Certification or Re-Certification) audits. The External Auditor track has additional educational and experience-level requirements.
Track 2: External Auditor
- Hold a certificate, diploma, or degree in Occupational Health and Safety from one of the eligible programs described here
Hold a professional designation in health and safety, such as a Canadian Registered Safety Professional (CRSP) or equivalent
- External applicants must also have a minimum of five years’ experience as a well-rounded safety professional within the last ten years
- Complete the online Common Safety Orientation course.
Applicants who do not register for the CHSAP course within four months, or who do not complete the CHSAP course within one year, are considered to have abandoned the process and must reapply.
Maintaining Your Auditor Certification
Energy Safety Canada Certified Auditors are required to maintain their auditor certification by:
- Completing the Certified Health and Safety Auditor Renewal once every three years.
If your auditor certification has expired, the standard allows up to 6 months from the expiry to complete the Auditor Renewal course however, the standard does not allow any new audit registration until recertification is complete.
- Completing two audits or maintenance audit options in the previous three year certification cycle.
If this requirement has not been met, the auditor will be required to conduct and submit a regular COR audit within 6 months of the Auditor Renewal course before recertification can be granted.
For more information on the auditor process, please contact a member of the COR team (Toll free) at 1 800 667 5557 option 3, or via email at CORInfo@EnergySafetyCanada.com
In This Section
1.800.667.5557 ext 3
CORInfo [at] EnergySafetyCanada [dot] com
Become an Auditor
A prime opportunity to develop your career in this thriving industry.