Oilfield Driver Awareness (ODA)
Motor vehicle collisions are the most common cause of death within the oil and gas industry. The most significant factor contributing to vehicle crashes is human error.
Designed to provide the participant with the knowledge, skills and attitudes of a safe driver when operating a motor vehicle; this course covers the application of defensive driving techniques, safe use of effective driving methods in differing driving environments, and appropriate management strategies when undertaking a journey. Participants will learn tactics to improve their driving behaviour and better understand the factors that influence driver attitudes.
This course is approved by Alberta Transportation as a Defensive Driving Course (DDC).
Upon successful completion of this course and examination with a minimum score of 80%, you will receive a Certificate of Completion that is valid for three years. Participants with an Alberta Operator’s License who receive 80% or better on the written examination are eligible for a reduction of up to three demerit points from their driving record from Alberta Transportation through any Alberta registries agent.
- Professional driving attitude
- Defensive driving skills
- Regulations and policies
- National Safety Code (NSC) requirements
- Proper vehicle inspection
- Off-highway driving techniques
- Road conditions and hazards
- Journey management
- Students must be on time and present for all course content instruction. Students who miss any course content cannot be certified and registration fees will not be reimbursed, as per the Cancellation Policy
- Course duration may continue beyond 4:30 pm
- All course registrations are booked through Energy Safety Canada.
- Virtual classrooms have a class schedule and students tune into instructor-led lectures at the same time.
- Students must be on time and present for all virtual classroom course content instruction.
- Students who miss any virtual classroom course content cannot be certified and registration fees will not be reimbursed, as per the Cancellation Policy.
- Virtual classroom course duration may continue beyond 4:30 pm.
- Once registered, click HERE to access a Virtual Course Tutorial Video for assistance.
Equipment Requirements if attending a Virtual Course:
- A currently supported version of your operating System for Windows or Apple
- Stable internet connection with a supported web browser
- Web Camera
- Speakers / Microphone (headset recommended)
- A government-issued, picture ID
- Printer to print the certificate after successfully completing the course
- Latest version of Zoom - as well as an account with Zoom
- Once registered, click HERE to access a Virtual Course Tutorial Video for assistance