First Line Supervisor Blowout Prevention
The First Line Supervisors Blowout Prevention course will teach first line supervisors (drillers) who work on a drilling rig the theories of blowout prevention, how to use warning signs to recognize a kick and safely shut-in a well. Well control procedures and rig crew responsibilities during well killing operations are also covered.
Upon successful completion of this course and examination with a minimum score of 70%, you will receive a Certificate of Completion that is valid for three years.
- Source and magnitude of pressure
- Causes and warning signs of kicks
- Shut-in procedures
- Crew positions and duties during well control operations
- Procedures for circulating out influxes
- Government regulations
- Effective February 11, 2019: Bridging of certificate expiry dates will no longer be in effect
- If you fail the exam following the course, you are allowed one rewrite within a 30-day period. If you fail the rewrite, you will be required to retake the full course.
- Students rewriting the exam must register first with Energy Safety Canada. Once registered, the student is responsible to contact an approved testing facility to schedule a date and time for their exam (Sitting fees may apply). The exam will be conducted on a computer at an approved testing facility through an online proctoring system. The exam will only be accessible once you arrive at the testing facility. The student has 30 days to complete the exam at the approved testing facility.
- All registrations, at all locations, are booked through Energy Safety Canada
- Students must be on time and present for all course content instruction. Students who miss any course content cannot be certified and registration fees will not be reimbursed, as per the Cancellation Policy
- Course duration may continue beyond 4:30 pm
Equipment Requirements for Virtual Course:
- A currently supported version of your operating System for Windows or Apple
- Stable internet connection with a supported web browser
- Web Camera
- Speakers / Microphone (headset recommended)
- Government-issued, photo ID
- Printer to print the certificate after successfully completing the course
- Latest version of Zoom - as well as an account with Zoom
- Once registered, click HERE to access a Virtual Course Tutorial Video for assistance
- Successful completion of this course is a prerequisite for the Second Line Supervisor’s Well Control course Students must have a passing grade from the First Line course in order to register for Second Line.