Understanding Our Canadian Model
Energy Safety Canada is pleased to be a partner in the Understanding our Canadian Model online course. This course is administered and supported by BuildForce. Energy Safety Canada is a distributor of PINs required to complete registration. Upon purchase of the PIN, registrants will be eligible to enroll into the Understanding our Canadian Model through Elearning.Buildforce.ca.
Understanding the Canadian Model is delivered by BuildForce and a collaborative effort between the Alberta Construction Safety Association (ACSA), Boilermaker Contractors Association (BCA), Canada’s Building Trade Unions (CBTU), Christian Labour Association of Canada (CLAC), Construction Labour Relations-Alberta (CLR-A), Electrical Contractors Association Alberta (ECAA), and Energy Safety Canada.
Designed ForThe course provides a comprehensive understanding of how to manage all aspects of the Canadian Model and will benefit frontline leadership and individuals administering an alcohol and drug policy. The curriculum was designed to support the Canadian Model for Providing a Safe Workplace — Version 6.0.
Upon CompletionUpon successful completion of this course, a certificate of completion that does not expire will be available to print.
Topics CoveredAfter completing the program participants will be able to
- Describe the extent of alcohol and drug use in the workplace
- Explain the Alcohol and Drug Work Rule
- Identify behaviors related to substance use
- Investigate and document alcohol and drug related performance problems
- Advise workers on how they can obtain assistance
- Decide whether to refer employees for appropriate testing.
- Describe testing procedures and know your role in the process.
- Respond to failure to comply with the Work Rule and the procedures for re-employment
- Apply the Canadian Model using a team approach
Equipment Requirements for Online Class
- A currently supported version of your operating System for Windows or Apple
- Stable internet connection with a supported web browser
- Web Camera
- Speakers / Microphone (headset recommended)
- Printer to print the certificate after successfully completing the course
- A government-issued, picture ID