First Line Supervisor Blowout Prevention
For first line supervisors (drillers) who work on a drilling rig. Content contains the theories of blowout prevention and how to use warning signs to recognize a kick and safely shut-in a well.
Upon CompletionUpon successful completion of this course and examination with a minimum score of 70%, you will receive a Certificate of Completion that is valid for three years.
- Source and magnitude of pressure
- Causes and warning signs of kicks
- Shut-in procedures
- Crew positions and duties during well control operations
- Procedures for circulating out influxes
- Government regulations
- Effective February 11, 2019: Bridging of certificate expiry dates will no longer be in effect
- If you fail the exam following the course, you are allowed one rewrite within a 30-day period. If you fail the rewrite, you will be required to retake the full course.
- All registrations, at all locations, are booked through Energy Safety Canada
- Students must be on time and present for all course content instruction. Students who miss any course content cannot be certified and registration fees will not be reimbursed, as per the Cancellation Policy
- Course duration may continue beyond 4:30 pm
Virtual Classroom OfferingThis course is also available as a Virtual Class. Personal equipment is required to attend and participate in the Virtual Classroom.
- Successful completion of this course is a prerequisite for the Second Line Supervisor’s Well Control course. Students must have a passing grade from the First Line course in order to register for Second Line.