Second Line Supervisors Well Control Refresher
The Second Line Supervisors Well Control Refresher course teaches rig managers, wellsite supervisors, drilling engineers or drilling superintendents who are responsible for the execution and supervision of well control operations how to perform well control procedures and demonstrate the proper response to hole and equipment problems using test well equipment and simulators.
Upon CompletionUpon successful completion of this course and examination, you will receive a Certificate of Completion that is valid for two years from the date of completion.
Topics CoveredPersonnel will learn about:
- The purpose of well control.
- Understanding well bore pressures.
- Leak-off tests.
- Over-pressure and kick warning signs.
- Causes of kicks.
- Kicks with oil-based mud.
- Blowout prevention equipment and operation.
- Well control methods.
- Advanced well control situations, including: managed pressure drilling and underbalanced wells.
- Horizontal and multi-lateral wells.
- High pressure high temperature wells.
- Case studies and hands-on training at live test wells and with computer based simulators.
PrerequisitesRecommend completion of the online tutorial, provided at time of registration.
- Students should be able to identify the appropriate techniques and procedures necessary for proper operation of equipment used in well control.
- Students should also be able to apply wellbore pressure concepts, and well control strategies while on bottom, tripping and while out of the hole.
- Government issued photo ID is required to write the exam.
- A Second Line Supervisor's Well Control Certificate can be expired, but not exceeding two years. (This is in no way an extension to certificate validity and working with an expired ticket is not acceptable to the regulatory authorities. Extending the pre-requisite for a period of time is to facilitate training only)
- Effective February 11th, 2019 - Bridging of certificate expiry dates will no longer be in effect.
- You are permitted one rewrite exam. If you are not successful in completing the rewrite exam but have passed the test well, you will only need to repeat the classroom portion of the course to reattempt the exam. The classroom repeat must be done within 30 days of the certifying test well and classroom repeat fees apply.
- Test Well failures must be rescheduled and successfully completed within 30 days of the original course, day three. If not completed within 30 days, the full three day course must be completed. Full course fees apply.
- Students must be on time and present for the instruction of all course content. Students who miss any course content cannot be certified. If a student misses any course time, registration fees will not be reimbursed, and students who wish to be certified will be required to register and pay for their course again, as per the Cancellation Policy.